Frequently Asked Questions

What are the eligibility criteria for my child to participate in school-based counseling services?

Typical reasons for referral: difficulty separating from parents to attend school, peer conflict, behavioral issues at school (i.e. defiance, stealing, ect.), difficulty making friends, anxiety regarding school, recent life changes creating difficulty concentrating/performing at school, anger/aggression at school. There must be some impact to their ability to succeed at school to be eligible (either academically, behaviorally, socially, or emotionally).

When and where would the services take place?

Once a child is referred, I work with their teacher to schedule a time frame during school hours in which I could pull them for 30 min. The only time frame I am not allowed to pull a child is during their Physical Education time, which is a state law. The services would take place on campus in room 19.

How much information will you share with me if my child participates in school-based counseling services?

In order to create a “safe space” and establish trust with students, social work policy indicates that a student has the right to confidentiality. Students are told that “everything we talk about is private, except if you are in danger for any reason. At that point I will have to tell someone in order to keep you safe.” Exceptions to this confidentiality include situations in which your child may be hurt, may discuss plans to hurt someone else, or discuss a plan to harm themselves. This includes any suspicion of child or elder abuse. You will be notified immediately if there is any safety threat. Other information will be kept private. Information I can share is general, including receptiveness to the services, participation, progress, and goals. I will also share some information with individuals relevant to your child's success at school whenever it may benefit the student. Their confidentiality will be held to the upmost discretion.

What happens if I don't have insurance and can't afford therapy?

I will provide you with a list of community resources, many which are either sliding-scale or free to low-income families or families who have no insurance.

Will you be able to make custody recommendations?

As a district employee, I am unable to make recommendations for custody or visitation. Issues regarding family court should be addressed with an outside provider or legal services.

Can my child participate in a group more than once?

Certain groups serve more educational purposes, such as teaching social skills or general stress management skills. Students can participate in these types of groups more than once if such a group is available at the time and the contents of the group are deemed as having a potential benefit to the student. Students who are referred and have not received a service yet hold priority in placement for these groups. If you would like your child to participate in another group, please notify me and I can let you know if the group becomes available.

Does your relationship end with my child once services are completed?

It depends on the needs of the child. For high-risk students, I may do some check-ins to maintain a relationship with them, even if they are seeing an outside provider. Students may also do a walk-in or leave me a note to indicate they would like to meet, and I may check-in with them if time permits. They are also welcome to participate in a school-wide service.

My child received a service from you but now they started seeing a new therapist, what should I do?

I am able to connect with outside providers and provide information to them regarding progress made in school-based counseling services and coordinate services. Please notify me if you obtain an outside therapist and I will provide you with a Release of Information document.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2023 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.